Special Fall 2021 Session
Equity in Assessment
Friday, November 12, 2021
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
“Assessment, if not done with equity in mind, privileges and validates certain types of learning and evidence of learning over others, can binder the validation of multiple means of demonstration, and can reinforce within students the false notion that they do not belong in higher education” (Jankowski & Montenegro, 2017, p.5). In this session, we will explore equity-minded assessment practices such as the importance of directly involving students in program-level assessment efforts, meaningful data disaggregation and using the data for subsequent reflection and action.
Montenegro, E., & Jankowski, N. A. (2017, January). Equity and assessment: Moving towards culturally responsive assessment. (Occasional Paper No. 29). Urbana, IL: University of Illinois and Indiana University, National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA).
Montenegro, E., & Jankowski, N. A. (2020, January). A new decade for assessment: Embedding equity into assessment praxis (Occasional Paper No. 42). Urbana, IL: University of Illinois and Indiana University, National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA).
Previous Workshop Presentations and Materials
Several workshops have been offered on campus over the last few years. Presentation materials are provided below. We are in the process of creating these resources as accessible documents. If you have questions, please contact the assessment working team at email@example.com.
- September 11, 2017: Real-Time Student Assessment: A Shared Commitment to Improve Currently Enrolled Students’ Equitable Performance
- August 21, 2017: Assessment Made Easier
- November 18, 2016: Understanding and Using Assessment Results
- October 14, 2016: Classroom Assessment Techniques
- September 23, 2016: Introduction to Rubrics
- April 02, 2015: Assessment in Academic Programs
Real-Time Student Assessment: A Shared Commitment to Improve Currently Enrolled Students’ Equitable Performance
On September 11, 2017, Peggy Maki conducted a workshop on improving the equitable performance of currently enrolled students. Find below the slides from the presentation:
- Presentation Real-time Student Assessment: A Shared Commitment to Improve Currently Enrolled Students’ Equitable Performance (*.pptx)
On August 21, 2017, Jill Ferguson conducted a workshop on assessment for students in creative disciplines. Find below the slides from the presentation:
- Presentation Assessment Made Easier (*.pptx)
On November 18, 2016, Linda Suskie conducted a workshop at Syracuse University on how to use the assessment results obtained during the assessment annual cycle. Find below the slides and handout from the presentation:
On October 14, 2016, Thomas Angelo conducted a workshop at Syracuse University on how to incorporate useful assessment techniques in the classroom. The activities of the workshop modeled the techniques and ideas that were presented. Find below the slides and handout from the presentation:
- Presentation Doing Assessment as if Teaching and Learning Matter Most (*.pptm)
- Handout to the presentation (*.pdf)
On September 23, 2016, Dannelle D. Stevens conducted two workshops at Syracuse University on rubrics as assessment tools. There was a morning and afternoon session that covered rubrics to use at the course as well as at the program level. Find below the presentations and handouts:
- Presentation 1–Introduction to Rubrics (course level) (*.pptx)
- Presentation 1–Handout (*docx)
- Presentation 2–Introduction to Rubrics (program level) (*.pptx)
- Presentation 2–Handout 1 (.*docx)
- Presentation 2–Handout 2 (*.pdf)
On April 02, 2015, Barbara E. Walvoord conducted a workshop on assessment in academic programs. Please find the video of the workshop below: