Academic program professional development offerings are currently provided through the Focus on Teaching and Learning (FOTL) series and the Assessment Leadership Institute. We occasionally provide sessions on selected topics of interest in the assessment world and invite guest speakers to conduct workshops for faculty on campus.
Curriculum Mapping Workshops
The Assessment Working Team is hosting curriculum mapping workshops starting in May and continuing monthly through the fall semester. A curriculum map is a matrix that shows how student learning outcomes are addressed in the courses and experiences that make up the academic program’s curriculum. The workshop will include an overview of and best practices for the mapping process. Faculty will be provided with an example and guided to map one of their outcomes to the courses in the curriculum. Please see the workshop schedule below and follow the link to register.
Online Curriculum Mapping Workshop Schedule
- Thursday, May 26, from 10 – 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, July 20, from 10 – 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 10, from 10 – 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 24, from 1 – 2 p.m.
- Friday, September 16, from 1 – 2 p.m.
- Friday, October 7, from 10 – 11 a.m.
- Friday, November 4, from 1 – 2 p.m.
Previous Workshop Presentations and Materials
Several workshops have been offered on campus over the last few years. Presentation materials are provided below. We are in the process of creating these resources as accessible documents. If you have questions, please contact the assessment working team at email@example.com.
Jump to Workshop
- September 11, 2017: Real-Time Student Assessment: A Shared Commitment to Improve Currently Enrolled Students’ Equitable Performance
- August 21, 2017: Assessment Made Easier
- November 18, 2016: Understanding and Using Assessment Results
- October 14, 2016: Classroom Assessment Techniques
- September 23, 2016: Introduction to Rubrics
- April 02, 2015: Assessment in Academic Programs
Real-Time Student Assessment: A Shared Commitment to Improve Currently Enrolled Students’ Equitable Performance
On September 11, 2017, Peggy Maki conducted a workshop on improving the equitable performance of currently enrolled students. Find below the slides from the presentation:
- Presentation Real-time Student Assessment: A Shared Commitment to Improve Currently Enrolled Students’ Equitable Performance (*.pptx)
On August 21, 2017, Jill Ferguson conducted a workshop on assessment for students in creative disciplines. Find below the slides from the presentation:
- Presentation Assessment Made Easier (*.pptx)
On November 18, 2016, Linda Suskie conducted a workshop at Syracuse University on how to use the assessment results obtained during the assessment annual cycle. Find below the slides and handout from the presentation:
On October 14, 2016, Thomas Angelo conducted a workshop at Syracuse University on how to incorporate useful assessment techniques in the classroom. The activities of the workshop modeled the techniques and ideas that were presented. Find below the slides and handout from the presentation:
- Presentation Doing Assessment as if Teaching and Learning Matter Most (*.pptm)
- Handout to the presentation (*.pdf)
On September 23, 2016, Dannelle D. Stevens conducted two workshops at Syracuse University on rubrics as assessment tools. There was a morning and afternoon session that covered rubrics to use at the course as well as at the program level. Find below the presentations and handouts:
- Presentation 1–Introduction to Rubrics (course level) (*.pptx)
- Presentation 1–Handout (*docx)
- Presentation 2–Introduction to Rubrics (program level) (*.pptx)
- Presentation 2–Handout 1 (.*docx)
- Presentation 2–Handout 2 (*.pdf)
On April 02, 2015, Barbara E. Walvoord conducted a workshop on assessment in academic programs. Please find the video of the workshop below: