During academic year 2019-20 and 2020-21, the campus engaged in a mapping exercise to learn if the Shared Competencies aligned with program-level student learning outcomes and specialized accreditation standards:
1. Overall University Undergraduate Academic Programs Student Learning Outcomes as Mapped to the Shared Competencies
Academic program faculty:
- Conducted a mapping exercise to align major and stand-alone minor program-level student learning outcomes to the Shared Competencies.
- This review demonstrates that the Shared Competencies are integrated with academic programs student learning outcomes.
Figure 1. Percentage of Academic Programs with One or More Program-Level Student Learning Outcome(s) Mapped to the Respective Competency (n=195)
2. Regional and Specialized Accreditation Mapping
Institutional Effectiveness and Assessment (IEA):
- Conducted a mapping exercise to determine the extent to which the 13 independent undergraduate accrediting agencies’ standards align with the Shared Competencies.
- Reviewed the student learning specific standards within undergraduate specialized and regional accreditors that align with the Shared Competencies.
- This review demonstrates that the Shared Competencies are congruent with accrediting agencies relevant to Syracuse University’s undergraduate degrees.
Table 1. Number of Specialized and Regional Accreditation Learning Standards that Map to the Shared Competencies
|Accrediting Agency||Ethics, Integrity, and Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion||Critical and Creative Thinking||Scientific Inquiry and Research Skills||Civic and Global Responsibility||Communication Skills||Information Literacy and Technological Agility|
|National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)||7||15||8||4||1||2|
|American Chemical Society (ACS)||4||4||9||0||3||2|
|Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET)||3||2||3||1||1||2|
|Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)||12||12||10||4||5||2|
|Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)||9||4||8||6||2||3|
|Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)||15||11||11||5||2||1|
|The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)||5||4||3||4||1||6|
|Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC)||3||2||2||3||2||3|
|Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP)||3||1||2||2||1||1|
|National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD)||6||9||3||2||3||3|
|Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)||13||32||16||15||9||11|
|National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)||3||6||3||2||6||2|
|Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)||2||2||1||1||1||1|